Apr 29
Could you sell your property today for cash at the current assessed value?  If not then you should consider appealing your assessment. 

“An exercise in futility!” you scream, knowing the Board of Review is generally a rubber stamp for the Assessor’s Office.  In general that may be the case. However our attorney and a few other smart lawyers believe the current MIlwaukee assessment process may be flawed as the Assessor refuses to factor the impact on values of the massive number of foreclosure, defaults and short sales in many neighborhoods.  This raises the potential for a class action suit to remediate an intentionally flawed process.

I recommend all owners who feel their assessed values are above what they could expect to receive in a cash offer should file a timely objection.

By objecting you retain your rights to participate in any future litigation over the 2011 assessments.  If you do not file an objection by May 16th then you have accepted the city’s valuation and have no further rights to challenge the assessment and may not participate in or benefit from any future litigation over the 2011 assessments.

You can get paper forms at the Assessor’s office Room 507, City Hall 200 E Wells. 

To file an objection online go to the Milwaukee Assessor’s website: 


On the bottom of the left hand panel click on “Ask the Assessor’s Office.”

Then entire the name of the entity which owns the parcel, if different than your own name.

Enter the address of the property, your email address, and in the “Question” box type “please send me an assessment appeal form.”

Send a separate email for each property you are appealing.

You will get the form back via email, usually within one day.

You can also call the Assessor’s office at 414-286-3651 to have them send the form by regular mail.

Leave a Reply

preload preload preload