The AASEW’s ever popular Landlord Boot Camp is just around the corner. It will be held on Saturday, October 4, 2014 from 8:30 am – 5:30 pm at the Clarion Hotel located near the airport.
At this Fall’s Boot Camp I will be updating everyone on how the courts have been handling and interpreting all of the law changes since Act 76 was passed back in March of this year.
I will also address numerous other of topics that will help you navigate Wisconsin’s complex landlord – tenant laws. Learn how to run your properties with greater profit while staying out of trouble. Landlording can be pretty complex, with a seemingly never ending myriad of paperwork, rules, landlord-tenant laws and simple mistakes that can cost you thousands.
Some of the other topics that will be covered include:
1) How to properly screen prospective tenants
2) How to draft written screening criteria to assist you in the tenant selection process
3) How to comply with both federal and state Fair Housing laws including how to comply with “reasonable modifications” and “reasonable accommodations” requests
4) How to legally reject an applicant
5) What rental documents you should be using and why
6) When you should be using a 5-day notice versus a 14-day notice, 28-day notice, or 30-day notice and how to properly serve the notice on your tenant
7) Everything you wanted to know (and probably even more than you wanted to know) about the Residential Rental Practices (ATCP 134) and how to avoid having to pay double damages to your tenant for breaching ATCP 134
8) When you are legally allowed to enter your tenant’s apartment
9) How to properly draft an eviction summons and complaint
10) What to do to keep the commissioner or judge from dismissing your eviction lawsuit
11) What you can legally deduct from a security deposit
12) How to properly draft a security deposit transmittal (“21 day”) letter
13) How to handle pet damage
14) What to do with a tenant’s abandoned property and how this may affect whether or not you file an eviction suit
15) How to pursue your ex-tenant for damages to your rental property and past due rent (and whether it is even worth it to do so)
There will also be time for “Q&A” and Lunch is included!
If that is not enough you will also receive a manual that is over 100 pages that includes all of Tristan’s outlines on the various topics and various forms.
Who: Taught by Attorney Tristan Pettit, who drafts the landlord tenant forms for Wisconsin Legal Blank.
When: Saturday, October 4, 2014 from 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM —- Registration opens at 7:00 AM
Where: Clarion Hotel 5311 S. Howell Avenue, Milwaukee
Price: AASEW Members only $159 . Non AASEW Members – $249
Register: Go to www.LandlordBootCamp2014.com and you can register online and read prior attendees testimonials.
Last year’s AASEW Landlord Boot Camp was filled to capacity. So much so we even had to turn people away. So register early to reserve your spot.
I hope to see many of you there.